Monday, July 14, 2008

Never Say Never



I learned quickly in life to never say never. For example, I will never admit my mad teenage crush for Jon from New Kids on the Block; I will never go to bed before the news; I will never act like that when I am married; I will never use engineered underwear in lieu of exercise; I will never make my kid do that when I am a parent; yada yada. I also said I would never wear a bra and thank goodness I went back on that one! My point is, eating your words is far less appetizing than eating cookies. So, NEVER SAY NEVER!

Well, I NEVER expected to find myself at the American Idol Tour Concert. Don't adjust your screens...you read it correctly. I myself avoided Idol fever, but my mom & mother-in-law weren't so lucky. In my whole life, I cannot recall my mother ever watching TV let alone following a series. (Too bad my children can't say the same.) It all changed when a smiley little fellow named David Archuletta hit the scene. Let's just say the mom squad's inner groupie emerged full force. Sunday dinners were spent discussing their weekly performances & critiques. The Moms even went as far as exchanging a downloaded Archuletta mix (adorned by a homemade cd cover with his picture on it). Crazy I know!

When opportunity knocks buy a ticket. So with the help of my in-laws & sister, I surprised my Mom and took her too the concert. Sandwiched between two uber fans, I witnessed both "Moms" squealing like teenagers and trading "AI" facts & favorite moments. When the concert started, you better believe they were perched on the edge of their seats with binoculars! These women were hard core. My sister I could not compete with their enthusiasm. I guess you reach a certain point in your life where you look for something or someone to believe in. Since all their children are raised, they chose "Archie". He's hotter than menopause & has the "pipes of an angel"!

Overall it was an entertaining evening. One I NEVER thought I'd experience, but one I am glad I did. I am always up for a party, but I was most excited to observe my 2 Mom's" rock out like school girls!

My only regret... not providing them with glittery homemade posters to wave around.

6 comments:

Kate said...

I am seriously envious! Sounds like it was a blast... I love your mom already and I don't even know her!

Kristen said...

wow! i would have loved to have gone. my mom was SO into american idol too! but she also watches days of our lives so that doesn't say much about the caliber of entertainment she watches.

Unknown said...

So funny! I can just picture you sitting there laughing at the crowd around you.

Brooke said...

Sounds like fun! I didn't know they'd already come in concert. I too love David. He brings out the motherly/big sister vibe in me. And of course, I love his voice!

Bill Tanna Ava Fox said...

that sounds awesome!!!!! love your point of view and wish i could have watched it all in person :)secretly you loved every minute...admit it! HA

Ritch in Love said...

LOL! Before I read that remark about not giving them glittered posters, I almost, ALMOST asked if they had posters and t-shirts to show their undying love for AI and David himself!