Thursday, April 2, 2009

Suck it up (and in)

I am trying to get my act together with 3 kids. When you don't know what day it is, life is an adventure. I sleep with one eye open while dressed in a cape (doubles as a burp cloth) and sneakers (orthotics included). I function in 3-4 hour increments. Eat, play, sleep...with a lot of diaper changes and macaroni in between. I am lucky to keep up with meeting the most basic needs. I have contemplated changing my outgoing voice message to- "I can't come to the phone (or door) right now because I am either covered in some form of body fluid or I am being serenaded by screaming children. Leave a message and I will get back to you just as soon as I am finished rocking in the corner." Needless to say, the last 6 weeks have been a little hazy. But have no fear, we are doing life!

In an effort to stage my comeback, I have tentatively ventured out into the public domain. I've started with little trips to the park, library, grocery store, gym, church... yes church. And let me tell you on those occasions, we give thee thanks for spanx! Can I get a Hallelujah for squeezing into a spandex-free non-maternity garment?! When your body is stuck in limbo, you just have to suck it up and in! No time for loose parts- I've got people to feed and jobs to do! Besides, have you ever seen a super hero with a muffin top? Nope! Remember Wonder Woman's ensemble? She was cinching it in too! The days I play a shut in, it's sweats city. No thanks spanx. My body needs a break from defying gravity and all odds. Plus, my week old stretched out sweats add an element of mystery and make me feel like the hottest sleep deprived mama on the block!

Regardless of my uniform, life is good. Busy, but good. Whether I am keeping it together in spanx or letting in all hang out in sweats, my kids don't care as long as I continue to save their world one diaper and pot of mac at a time!!

No comments: