Saturday, September 6, 2008

Family Fumble

Who doesn't love Fall? Who doesn't look forward to the weekend? The wife of a football fan that's who!! While I love the season, it can sometimes be overshadowed by a large blue "Y". Although R attempts to engage in family fun, when game time rolls around...let's just say that 'the game is on, but nobody is home'. He's a warm body to us and a hot-blooded fan to his team.

The second Saturday of football season began like any other weekend until early afternoon when the headphones came out. R started to putter about the house attempting to be super helpful which only meant one thing...tip off was in an hour. He did what few men have done before...saw a need and took care of it without prompting. He voluntarily did the dishes!

When I inquired about the need for headgear, I was informed that the pre-game show was just as important. It's foreplay for football fans. Since when have men been so concerned about foreplay? As if that wasn't enough stimulation, the end of the game rolled right into the post game show. Television off, headphones back on. I quickly learned that was also a priority for an uber fan. It's like the cuddling afterward. Once again, since when do men like to cuddle after? Oh the things I will never understand. Three sisters and a brother that loved science did not prepare me for this.

So while R watched big boys pass the pigskin and listened to them replay their moments of glory, the girls napped and I found refuge painting furniture in the garage. Fumes or football, pick your poison!

6 comments:

Kate said...

I thought having saturday be football day was bad... now it is almost every day at our house... I swear something happens to a mans' brain when they are thinking, playing, watching, coaching football and I will never understand... it is insanity!!!!

Brooke said...

Cute, cute pictures. R does look stressed (I've seen that look and posture before). I ditto you on the bookstore post. I'm telling you, Calgon take me away with a good book. Last but not least, college football. Love the statement below the picture, so TRUE! at least to S. Tell me this, does R wear the headphones while he is at the game? The true sign of an uber fan or uber nut, which is it?

Kristen said...

first of all...you can't publish 3 posts at once. it makes my brain hurt. i am grateful that big al isn't a HUGE football fan~other than watching the UTES play. However, I have to deal with the upcoming hunt of his life that he just informed me he will be gone for a full week. (unless he gets one before the week is up) So, in preparation for the hunt he has been watching dvd's like mad educating himself on which buck is worthy of a shotgun to the heart. The antlers have to nice and symmetrical, no broken ends, certain # of horns poking out, etc. I knew he liked to hunt before going into marriage but I had NO IDEA he would turn into this. Oh well..whatever makes him happy!

Unknown said...

You took the words out of my freaking mouth. I HATE FOOTBALL SEASON!!! It is like nothing else exists when the "Cougs" are playing....I hate it and I hate the person my husband becomes while watching...

Ritch in Love said...

Oh now, this is one thing I love. Football! I really do! My dad and I used to watch it every weekend. After church we would hunker down with grilled cheese and chips and watch the 49er's. He tried to raise me to be a Cougar fan, but it wasn't in me. It only beats for the Utes! Everything stops at our house when the Utes play!
(When I was 3 years old, my dad would forget all responsibilities and watch BYU every weekend. My mom was SO SICK of it that one Saturday in the middle of the game she walked into the living room, turned off the t.v. and cut the cord on the t.v.!!! We didn't have t.v. for-ev-a!!!!!!)

Ritch in Love said...

I meant to type that my heart only beats for the Utes. My comment made little sense....