Monday, September 3, 2007

Huddle Up


Football season is upon us. There is an electricity in the air... or perhaps it's the large light up team letter my husband reverently props in our front window. (It's very reminiscent of the leg lamp in the Christmas Story movie- creepy!). Frankly when you live in a U fan neighborhood, it's an open invitation to egg our house. Everywhere you go, fans are flashing their team pride like gang signs. People are dressing with purpose. Forget about blue complimenting the color of your eyes, it's as my husband says "Cougar pride baby!" I'll be honest, I don't get it. The anticipation, the pre-game show, the game, the post game show, the highlights, the phone calls amongst buddies, talkin' sports, and then it all starts over again. I almost have to leave the house when it's game time. Such over the top displays of testosterone make me giggle. Leave the chest pounding and package adjusting to the monkeys at the zoo. Alas, my husband is the biggest ape of them all. His blood runs blue for his beloved Cougars. And now, he is passing his fanaticism onto our children. G-bean now shouts "go Cougars" and "BYU" at odd times of the day. When getting dressed, she asks for her pink shirt with the cat on it. Be very afraid. I was hoping this would be one of those recessive genes that skipped a generation. I guess they haven't come that far with science after all. Well, I guess if you can't beat 'em than join 'em. My compromise, I will be passionate about half time shows and game time treats. Go baton twirlers and hot dogs!

6 comments:

go boo boo said...

You are soooo brave to sport the large electric Y in your yard, as you've said because of your very close and strong ties to the U. Didn't you go to the U? We have a mixed blood family like that too, but I think we would get stoned for sporting a Y (we are even closer to the U and have quite a few faculty/coaches in our 'hood)!

Brooke said...

April, April, April how I understand your state of being! I do like college football, but not nearly to the extent of our lovely husbands. Christmas like anticipation for a game? Being moody and upset for a couple of days due to a loss? Yelling at the refs through the t.v.? I don't get it! It is nice to see they can have such enthusiasm. My kids are opposite of yours in that some of Isabelle's first words were GO UTES! Isabelle was a Utah cheerleader for Halloween when she was one!!! Scott is very excited for the season(well, he was before our three best players got injured last week). I'm sure that Rocky is even more excited now. GO UTES!
p.s. I had to throw that in
p.s.s. if your house gets egged due to the electric Y, it may have been Scott!!

chipsgirls said...

What Rocky doesn't realize is that those pink shirts are actually just a lighter shade of RED!!! Go Utes!!

Tausha said...

Do you think Grace could wear her BYU shirt to school tomorrow?

Kristen said...

cute girls. cute dad.

Kate said...

Okay... ditto on everything! I could put the exact same thing on my blog- except we are for the U! Good luck- and hoping for alot of girls nights out this season!