Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tough Love

When does unconditional love kick in? Was there a form I was supposed to fill out in the hospital? Is it something I forgot to pick up at the store? Is there a cream I can apply, a pill I can pop or a patch I can stick on? Sometimes I come up a little short in this department and any ideas would be helpful.

Everyone always talks about the terrible two's...let's talk about the tremendous three's (sarcasm included). It's little bodies, big emotions. Not a great combination with big mommy, little patience & sleep. I get it, it's the struggle for independence, self mastery, yada yada. It's just that some days I don't want to give an answer to all the "why's". I want no to just mean "no". No need for an explanation. I don't want to hear a broken record asking me over and over and over again to do something. I don't want to repeat the rules one more time. I don't want to have to outwit the midget with choices that all lead to the same desired result. I don't want to negotiate with the 13 year old diva that occasionally possesses my daughter. And I would rather not deal with the random drama or hysterics. I just want my terrific 2 yr. old back.

So my question is, how do I handle the days that I just want to put my kid's on E-bay? Don't tell me count to 10, because I've gotten to a thousand and nothing! Also, the time out thing. Not so effective...a minute for every year. Problem, G-bean's time-out 3 min., mommy's time-out 29 min. Unfortunately, I never get to finish my time-out. Still working on the Love & Logic concept, but it requires more brain capacity than I have available some days. I would love some ideas, great therapist referrals, perhaps a nanny, a strong drink, anything to remedy this situation? Help me out people.

By the way, I returned my mother of the year trophy.

6 comments:

chiggidy said...

your kids are darling. if i lived closer, i would say you could drop them off at my house any day you felt this way....i would gladly take them for a time!

love ya! court

Chelsa said...

You are so funny April! I miss chatting with you. We need to get together soon. Love ya, Chelsa

Kristen said...

april you are about the MOST patient mom i have ever seen. (unless you're completely different behind closed doors-like most of us!) i have always heard and can now testify that 3's are harder than 2's! (although, lately I am feeling like 4's are harder than 3's when I hear Connor call me a "loser") anyway...no good advice to give! I would love to trade you kids for a week or so but I think you would get the "raw end of the deal"!

Elise said...

ha ha ha. I am laughing so hard b/c I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Don't all moms??? I thought I was home free b/c two was a breeze and then 3 HIT! I was a basket case (and being 6 months pregnant didn't help!). My only advise is to STAY CONSISTANT. I figure, even if I am doing everything wrong... at least my kids know what they are getting. Hang in there. It really is a phase : ) I want to kick my teeth out for just typing that cliche' but it is true... sorry.

Kate said...

Okay-- I hear ya! My four year old drives me crazy! I look at him sometimes and think- 'I don't even think you are cute.. you are annoying" I know it is sad.... but I am really trying to step back, look at the big picture and not put up with his whiny crap--- it drives me nuts...sorry I wasn't much help... this too shall pass my friend!

Brooke said...

funny thing. I was driving in my car today (at the end of my patience rope) thinking that its a good thing I don't drink. I would probably end up having a drink around 4pm to release my tension and frustration. (then I'd have another and another until they were asleep) Don't some days (or stages) feel like they are going to drive you crazy? I ask you this. Have you felt guilty yet because you think you really may be one of those mothers who loves one child more than the other? Because one is consistently a lot easier than the other? I feel your pain!