Friday, October 5, 2007

"Ever Lasting Loves"


Now that I have my own family, I only have one wish... I'm quite sure it's one and the same for most parents. I want my family to genuinely love each other. I know it's cheesy, but it's true.

Every family has growing pains. You are constantly stretching, changing, and adapting to each stage of life. You want your kids to like themselves, each other, you...Heck, you want to like yourself, your kids, and even your husband (some days). So how do you survive the noogies, sibling warfare, toddler/teenager drama (Isn't it all the same?), marital disconnect, and everyday life. How do you love each other through it all? There are moments in life when you feel like you are living in a hallmark card and want to freeze time. Five minutes later, you feel like you should call Dr. Phil to put the smack down. It's such a wild ride and you don't have time to make popcorn.

Without even realizing it, I start to channel my parents. "Be nice to each other. You are family.", "Don't do that to your brother (in our case, sister), one day he will be bigger than you" or "Why can't we all just get along?". If only we would have heeded the words of our elders. My sister was my nemesis until college. We were the kind of enemies that would write "I hate you" on the mirror with wet' n wild lipstick. And now she is my best friend. I hope it doesn't take my girls that long. But I now understand those pearls of wisdom past generations tried to impart. Here I am...attempting to do the same.

There will be a time when family might not be considered friends and friends might become family. I am already preparing myself for the day when I am not "cool". I know, hard to believe isn't it? The mom they invite to a tea party and cry for to apply a princess band-aid will soon be on the D-list. The sister that once made G-bean laugh and dance will copy her every move and steal her clothes. And the wife that was once so put together (HA!) will be a frazzled mess in yesterday's sweats. Oh, the ebb and flow of life.

Last night G-bean granted me my one wish. Dressed from sparkly tiara to sleeping beauty heels, she told me she was going to cast a spell on me. With that, she gracefully waved her magic wand and said "Ever Lasting Loves"! I did not ask how long the spell would last...but I hope forever.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Adorable! I think the mom has a profound effect on sibling relationships- if you always are saying- "Your sisters and brothers will be your most treasured friends.." and other positive mantras (even if there are times when you wonder if it will be true) I believe that will happen- My sisters are my best friends! I 'hated' them in High School and now I can't live without them! a

go boo boo said...

ditto kate. seriously we fought incessantly. you and your circus kiddos are darling.

Kristen said...

maybe there is some "divine" reason why most of all of us hate each other growing up and cling together once we are older. it's kind of like sex...when it's there in your face everyday..it's not so appealing. but when you can't have it when you want it..it's WHAT YOU WANT. I feel this way especially since my sisters have moved away. I guess if things were "easy" there would be no lessons learned, right? Sadly we almost always look back with regrets. april, your family will love each other because it's contagious and it's impossible not to catch what you have! sorry to ramble.